Adapted from www.foodnetwork.com.
1/4 cup olive or coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 pound bulk fresh chorizo sausage (not the pre-cooked links)
2 tsp smoked paprika (hot or sweet)
1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes (I like Muir Glen Organic.)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 bunch kale (1/2-3/4 pounds), stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Warm olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 10-15 minutes or until softened.
- Add chorizo and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, breaking the tomatoes up with a large metal mixing spoon.
- Add paprika, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, and salt. Stir to combine and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes just begin to soften.
- Add kale and cook until potatoes and kale are softened, about 10 more minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until it turns pink, abut 3 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve in large, shallow bowls.